Listening Practice! A local woman named Rosa shares her story with author Lena Strang. As Dona Rosa discusses her life, dreams, and what keeps her busy, it’s clear that she has a lot of love for her family and country.
Note: Logged-in Premium members can also access a PDF of each episode's transcription!
- 00:00:077.98Dona Rosa: Nos meus tempos livres? Dona Rosa: In my spare time?
- 00:00:1010.98Os meus tempos livres são ocupados em tudo... Eu, para além da agricultura e do trabalho que faço nas limpezas, My free time is taken up in all [sorts of things], in addition to farming and the work I do in cleaning,
- 00:00:1919.44gosto de costurar, fazer roupa... Fazia também muita roupa: roupa nova – e fazia bordados, e fazia renda. I like to sew, make clothes... I used to make a lot of clothes: new clothes – and I did embroidery, and I made lace.
- 00:00:2727.74Ocupava-me assim, em todas essas coisas. I used to busy myself like that, in all those things.
- 00:00:3737.06Gostava muito de ter sido professora da escola primária. I would have liked very much to have been a primary school teacher.
- 00:00:4040.98Eu sempre dizia à minha mãe que gostava, e a minha mãe assim "se um dia nós conseguirmos, tu vais estudar e pode ser" I always told my mother that I liked it, and my mother [would say] like this "if one day we make it, you'll study (go to school) and it could be"
- 00:00:4646.54Mas, era se conseguíssemos, mas... But, it was if we could, but...