Filipe tells Bruna the story about how he got a black eye, using many of the expressions you learned in the Idioms 1 unit.
Complete this episode's Quiz to complete this activity. Whenever you're ready, you can continue onto the next activity.
Note: Logged-in Premium members can also access a PDF of each episode's transcription!
- 00:00:033.206Bruna: Ó Filipe, o que é que te aconteceu ao olho? Bruna: Hey, Filipe, what happened to your eye?
- 00:00:066.836Filipe: Andei à batatada. Filipe: I've been fighting.
- 00:00:088.676Bruna: O que é que aconteceu? Bruna: What happened?
- 00:00:1010.236Filipe: Ontem fui para os copos com os meus colegas do trabalho e apanhei uma cadela. Filipe: Yesterday, I went to have drinks with my work buddies and got drunk.
- 00:00:1616.376Filipe: Depois conheci uma rapariga muito gira, mas, infelizmente, ela tinha namorado. Filipe: Then I met a really cute girl, but unfortunately she had a boyfriend.
- 00:00:2323.336Bruna: Deixa-me adivinhar... Fizeste-te ao bife e o namorado da rapariga bateu-te. Bruna: Let me guess... You were hitting on her and the girl's boyfriend punched you.
- 00:00:2929.186Filipe: Não exatamente. Ele só chegou perto de mim e disse – Filipe: Not exactly. He just came up to me and said,
Adivinhar Play normal audio GuessAmeaçar Play normal audio Threatenbater Play slow audio Play normal audio to hit, beat, whip, knockcadeira Play normal audio ChairDespejar Play normal audio Pour, dumpEspetar Play normal audio Stick, skewer, prodFugir Play slow audio Play normal audio Escape, run awayo gajo Play slow audio Play normal audio guy, fella slangNamorada Play normal audio GirlfriendO namorado Play normal audio the boyfriendPá Play slow audio Play normal audio Man, well, um Used for emphasis or as a filler wordSarilhos Play normal audio Trouble, mischief
Podes tirar o cavalinho da chuva Play slow audio Play normal audio Don't even think about itNão tenho papas na língua Play normal audio I don't mince words (Literally: I don't have porridge on my tongue)Estou feito ao bifeI'm dead meat Literally: I am done to the steakEu pedi desculpa Play normal audio I apologizedApanhei uma cadelaI got drunk Literally: I caught a female dogArmou-se em carapau de corrida Play normal audio He got cocky (Literally: He acted like a horse mackerel)Andei à batatada Play normal audio I've been fightingEu fervo em pouca água Play normal audio I have a short temper (Literally: I boil in little water)Fazer num oito Play normal audio To beat up (Literally: To make into an 8)Fui para os copos Play normal audio I went to have drinks (Literally: I went for the glasses)Fugi a sete pés Play normal audio I ran off as fast as I could (Literally: I ran off on seven feet)